It takes efforts to make decision about profit oriented things but it demands more experience to ensure that we are going to follow profitability for long run. For a trucking company, the waiting time and collection is one of the most contentious problems and a wrong decision about trucking lane can also lead to more fuel wastage with least profits. It is good to develop better strategies for driving out on profitable lanes with perfect loads, drivers so that companies can improve their services and some latest software tools help to resolve this decision making issue in very efficient manner. Such advanced and highly interactive software can pre-determine profitability of trucking lanes in real time and it also controls wastage of resources.
In order to make decision about profitable trucking lane, you have to follow these steps:
- Determine your beginning point which is commonly your domicile or operation home base.
- Generate a list of all local distribution centers and local manufacturers within a specifc radius of 50 to 100 miles.
- Call all of them; although some may not be interested but several will join hands with you and they will make your first leg of freight lane.
- Now for those who have refused for your services, it is possible that they are already using 3PL or freight brokers services for their shipments; now your next step is to get details of all those service providers and get information about where they are failing to satisfy clients on the way.
- Look at those dead areas where brokers are not providing services; this area can serve as strength for your business and you can make analysis about this lane while managing perfect truck to load ratio.
- Look for an ever widening circle of services ranging from low rate to no freight area till the time any freight fits perfectly to your hauling rate range.
- Your final objective must be to design a freight lane for trucks that can cover hauling for whole month and can generate required revenues.
Sometimes it may seem that one lane or back can bring profits to your business but actually you need to go somewhere else where it is possible achieve better profits. Experts say that tri haul or more than that is always a better choice and it can help you to generate more revenues.
Once you are able to find right routes for your trucking business then the next part is to find loads. It is not always good to go ahead with a broker rather try to collect experience from market by yourself. Go directly to clients and make them aware about your services; let them know how your trucking service can be better and profitable for them and develop trust among clients for your quality of services. There are so many factors that play important role in this selection process; but experts say that it is always good to move ahead with industry standards. A tri haul lane can lead to more profits because here your return trip is also dedicated to cover few loads and there is no wastage of resources as like straight lane service.